No more Static FBML? No problem.

Today is the last day administrators can build custom Facebook tabs using the Static FBML application.

The application so many used to create custom tabs will no longer be supported by Facebook, starting March 11. Current instances of the application will continue to work but any similar customization of a Facebook page will have to come another way.

No problem. There are several new applications already filling the void.

Custom landing tabs for Facebook pages are a great way to drive traffic, increase a fan base and reward those for “liking” content. So it’s great news that one doesn’t have to become a computer programmer overnight just to make one work.

Here’s a couple of applications I’ve found that still make creating custom tabs easy:

iFrames for Pages

The iFrames for Pages application comes from Wildfire, a Palo Alto-based company dedicated to developing applications to help organizations promote themselves on the social web.

The iFrames for Pages app is easy to install and easy to understand. Essentially, it allows users to create a “fan gate.” The gate allows administrators to present different content for fans and non-fans. Fan-only content is made available only to those who “like” a page.

Administrators who install the app can choose what to display for each audience: a custom image or custom HTML. Adding either is easy.

Static HTML for Pages

Static HTML for Pages was developed and is supported by Involver, a social marketing platform that powers more applications on Facebook than any other company.

Administrators using Static HTML for Pages need only to cut and paste HTML code into the interface. The application is similar to iFrames for Pages in that it allows administrators to display the HTML to everyone or to Fans Only. The advantage Static HTML for Pages holds over iFrames for Pages, however, is that it makes it easier to rename the tab whatever the user should choose.

It should be noted, however, that both applications come with a caveat: Adding either program will let it pull your page’s profile information, photos, friends’ info, and other content that it requires to work. It will also add a box to your page and can publish Feed stories about your page.

It’s a similar concession made for most other applications and if the application can help make your life easier perhaps the subsequent sales pitch e-mails are well worth the trouble.

Tags: , , , , , ,

9 Responses to “No more Static FBML? No problem.”

1. john #

embedding objects such as youtube videos doesn’t work with either of the options above.

March 16, 2011 at 6:18 pm
  2. Great point, John, but it wasn’t easy to embed objects in Static FBML either. The best route is probably to create your own app and have it pull an iframe.

March 18, 2011 at 4:12 pm
  3. Heidi Shore Schultz #

It looks like you can only add and image or HTML but not both with both the apps you reviewed. Is that correct?

May 16, 2011 at 5:05 pm
  4. I need to make a fan page and i need to know that i paste my HTML there in the box with HTML option then how i can integrate that HTML with images i have in my page. I have a separate folder of images that needs to go with HTML but how and where i can upload those images. Please help and suggest at your earliest.

May 18, 2011 at 3:04 am
  5. @Scott Allerdice

You can’t upload your images anywhere (only if you pay for apps like “My Tab” otherwise you will have to upload them to extern server read more here http://on.mash.to/hrY4An

June 1, 2011 at 5:45 am
  6. Vivek #

You are really Great & brilliant person..thanks for information…great work..hats off……….

August 12, 2011 at 8:10 am
  7. I noticed that using the first one by Wildfire, I uploaded a photo but now my welcome page says “thanks for liking our page. We’ll add contact to this page soon” WTF? I have to wait for them to process my image before it shows on my page? Not liking that at all!

February 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm
  8. Nice review Patrick

… I guess the main doubt for all of us who are administrators, is how the migration will work!… probably some of all our present features wiil be lost in the process from fbml to iframes.

Regarding pics… a cute way of showing up you pics is creating an account on TinyPic for instance, and copy paste the embeded html code for that pic on your page!
    I am presently using this method for FBML too…

keep up the good work!

Eliseo Mauas Pinto
    Blogger : Celtic Sprite
    Facebook : Amigos Celtas
    Facebook : Love of Rhiannon

March 5, 2012 at 11:53 am

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Solution to Static FBML app on Facebook « ccvdesigns - April 4, 2011

[...] is other solutions of course, according to this page but nothing that works quite well such as static FBML. I just can’t believe they would make [...]