Best social media mash-ups in higher education

The hardest part of any cohesive social media campaign is pulling it all together.

It’s why I’m so impressed when colleges or universities embrace the social stream and preset it on their own terms in a creative and meaningful way. I’m not talking about social media directories where a school lists all its accounts.

I’m talking about a high-quality mash-up where colleges and universities wrangle feeds from blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Flickr, and more to create a compelling page that gives a real-time snapshot of all an institution has to offer. (Hat tip to the folks over at mStonerblog; they have been talking about mash-ups for months.)

There are plenty of higher education mash-ups out there, but here are a few of my favorites:

University of Maryland Baltimore County

The UMBC mash-up breaks down the social stream in more ways than I thought possible. It’s a great display of all that’s happening on or around campus but also a great resource to connect with students and organizations based on activity. There are tabs for students, photos, videos, tweets, blogs, music, and organizations. But just in case you want it all, the page defaults to “Everything.”

Missouri State University

Missouri State University compiles their social stream in a place of incredible prominence — directly onto the university home page. The stream pulls from university-related Twitter feeds, Facebook accounts, and news posts to fill the center “News & Events” column. It’s a great example of school embracing social media while providing fresh content to the home page throughout the course of a day.

Tufts University

The social media hub at Tufts University is a comprehensive endeavor to pull together multiple feeds into a single interface. There are tabs for Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, LinkedIn, and select university blogs. What I appreciate most is that Tufts simply didn’t pull the available widgets from each site, but took the code and customized it to match the look and feel already on the site.

Savannah College of Art and Design

The Savannah College of Art and Design bills itself as “The University for Creative Careers.” No surprise its social media mash-up is one of the most creative out there. The school puts its blog, Twitter, Flickr, and YouTube feeds into a 12-box slider that pulls text, pictures, and video into an interesting display.

College of William & Mary

The social stream at the College of William & Mary is easy to navigate and visually appealing, mainly because of its simplicity. Six boxes feed the latest from the stream, whether it’s a blog post, tweet, or uploaded photo. Viewing previous posts to the stream is as easy as selecting the numbers down the left side.

Vanderbilt University

The Vanderbilt University social media mash-up keeps it simple. Blog, YouTube, and Twitter feeds come together to produce a Twitter-esque stream that’s easy to follow and scan. Additional social media options appear in tabs across the top of the page. It would be cool if users could subscribe to this stream with one click.

Any examples I may have missed? Please share them in the comments below:

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Best social media mash-ups in higher education”

1. Hey Patrick – Great list. These are some great examples of schools that really *get* it.

An example that’s not as ‘mashed’ but that still catches my eye is NC State: http://twitter.ncsu.edu/

Thanks for sharing.

Zach Woodward
    Radian6
    @zachwoodward

December 8, 2010 at 8:14 am
  2. Great list, Patrick, and thanks for the Tufts mention! Here are a couple other mashups that have caught my eye:

Emerson – http://www.emerson.edu/news-events/social-media-directory
    Langara (which also lets it all hang out on their homepage) -http://www.langara.bc.ca/

December 8, 2010 at 9:13 am
  3. Shanan #

I could e-hug you to death. The next step for our university is to integrate our social media properties. Right now, everything is siloed. This list gives some great examples of how things can be pulled together.

Much thanks!

December 8, 2010 at 10:11 am
  4. We’ve been doing a lot of work in social media mashups for universities (we call them SMASHUPs) and these are some really good examples! Here are a few more I thought I’d share!

YSU – http://web.ysu.edu/smashup/home
    DePaul – http://depaul.edu/smashup
    NIU – http://smashup.niu.edu/
    OLLU – http://smashup.ollusa.edu/

Great post!
    Katie

December 8, 2010 at 10:19 am
  5. This is another one for the bookmarks, as we too embark on a similar project. The first one of these mashups that I noticed was Cornell’s at http://www.cornell.edu/CUbiquitous/, but I now can’t a link to it on their site.

December 8, 2010 at 11:48 am
  6. gee Ekachai #

Not that I am working there, but Marquette University is doing some pretty cool job too on social media. Please see link below. And I was told the social media hub on http://www.marquette.edu is very close to being live.

December 8, 2010 at 1:58 pm
  7. Thanks for all the great feedback and some more great examples. Keep ‘em coming!

December 8, 2010 at 4:46 pm
  8. Nash #

There are some other great educational social media mashup, and while not higher ed, I believe they are definitely worth noting:

Roxbury Latin
    Hun School
    Episcopal Academy
    Baylor School

December 9, 2010 at 10:11 am
  9. Great list as usual. Keep up the great blogs!

December 13, 2010 at 1:59 am
  10. Is there a single site among any of these examples that isn’t created, moderated, or vetted by a Communications office?

All these sites look great, and this is a big step forward for higher ed, but my gut says when content is moderated it’s not social media, it’s communications— and communications isn’t what the kids are looking for.

December 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm
  11. Hi Patrick,

I just wanted to point out a typo, in paragraph 3 your refer to mStonerblog as “mStongblog”. Otherwise, excellent post!

Thanks,
    Bill McLaughlin
    mStoner

December 21, 2010 at 3:12 pm
  12. Great examples. Thanks for sharing. One more for you to consider- The University of British Columbia’s- http://www.aplaceofmind.ubc.ca

December 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm
  13. Interesting point Jason makes about moderated content.

Our Facebook page at this point is wide open and unmoderated and I’m more than happy to have anything our students and friends might post there show up on the home page. We do make sure there’s activity there every day but it’s not “marketingese” language.

I could see pulling a Twitter feed that has the campus name in it too, so it’s not just our own tweets but what people say about us. Sure, there might be the occasional “WTF?! Can’t get into the library during the holiday?” but I can live with that. (Heck, teaches them to read those things we put out about library hours.)

A live feed from RateMyProfessor.com on the home page would be a bold move indeed. I wonder if the temptation you give someone to play with whatever sites you feature might be a bit much–you wouldn’t let them write graffiti on the front doors of your buildings.

What I’d really love is if I had more faculty and students blogging, tweeting and Facebooking about us in general. In our case as a smaller and newer campus our bigger problem is getting them to talk about us at all–not worrying about what they’ll say when they do.

The examples and this discussion give me great ideas for ways to do this with a little more rawness and reality. Thanks.

@BarbChamberlain
    @WSUSpokane

Director of Communications and Public Affairs
    Washington State University Spokane

December 28, 2010 at 11:16 am
  14. Great insight. Would love it if you readers could share their thoughts on my SM in higher ed survey. Thanks!

February 28, 2011 at 12:39 pm
  15. Hi all

Have you seen any good examples that allows you to publish and fitler different twitter and social feeds by category? I know SocialSprokit does it, but I was far from impressed with the company and their communication

Thanks!
    Josh Thomas
    Director of Web Services
    Samford University.

January 24, 2012 at 11:13 am
  16. The social media mash-up from Vanderbilt University is my favourite

May 25, 2012 at 9:56 am
  17. We just launched Saint Anselm College’s social media mashup page: social.anselm.edu this week!

Also, you can get your own at http://www.glos.si: we unify your social content from around the web into a beautiful, living magazine of you.

Sandy
    Co-Founder, Glossi
    Find me on glos.si/sandy

June 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm
  18. I blog often and I truly appreciate your information. This article has really peaked my interest.
    I will book mark your site and keep checking for new details about once per week.
    I opted in for your RSS feed as well.

June 27, 2013 at 9:37 pm
  19. If some one wishes to bee updated with most recent technologies
    herefore he must bbe pay a visit thks site and be up to date
    all the time.

Alsoo visit my site :: http://vigrxplusnederlands.page.tlhttp://theleafsband.com/vanilla/profile/48705/NDNZoila -

March 16, 2014 at 10:06 am
  20. This apps game is a toy that lets you play kitchen with your
    child. Insert a simcard from a different service provider and
    power on the cell phone. Beginning today Apple has begun accepting orders for unlocked GSM versions of the
    i – Phone 5S via the firm’s online store.

Take a look at my homepage injustice gods among us hack tool free

March 31, 2014 at 2:59 pm
  21. Good day! This post couldn’t be written any better!
    Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept
    talking about this. I will forward this article to him.
    Fairly certain he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

April 11, 2014 at 5:50 am
  22. fantastic points altogether, you just won a new reader.
    What would you recommend about your post that you simply made a few days in the past?

Any certain?

April 19, 2014 at 11:44 pm
  23. Right here is the right website for anyone who would like to find out about
    this topic. You understand so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I actually
    will need to…HaHa). You definitely put a fresh spin on a subject that
    has been discussed for years. Wonderful stuff, just great!

August 11, 2014 at 7:07 pm
  24. Most household goods movers provide free quotes for their services.
    Article Source: Movers is a leading industry expert in the fields
    of web marketing, SEO, and internet marketing online.
    This is for the reason that a group closer to your house could bargain with you in a more luxurious method.

Feel free to surf to my web blog :: storage units auctions in atlanta ga

August 26, 2014 at 7:29 pm
  25. Make sure to buy your h – CG injections, drops, or sublingual pills from a certified doctor.
    Failure to Diagnose an Ectopic Pregnancy – Is This Medical Negligence.

The HCG diet uses h – CG drops, combined with a
    very low calorie diet for weight loss.

Take a look at my page – weight loss after the hcg diet

September 12, 2014 at 12:35 am
  26. “La situation du logement est critique en Belgique. Alors que le pays compte 17000 sans abris, 60 pc des Bruxellois sont locataires et la majorité d eux débourse, pour pouvoir se loger, une somme qui oscille entre 41 pc et 65 pc (pour les plus démunis) de l des ressources du ménage, alors que le quart constitue la limite communément admise”, peut on notamment lire dans le communiqué de presse diffusé à l de cette action militante.”Every footwear release differs from the others in the some other. You’ll find Retro Jordans like the Six wedding rings that brings together different features of all the so called Half a dozen types of footwear that will Eileen Jordan wore during a champion from the Detroit bulls. The latest addition on the range may be the brand new Retro Jordan Shoes.The product features hoops which are developed keeping in mind the style and luxury.Secured with a buckle clasp, this is a fabulous statement piece that’s not for the faint of heart. A dashing, sophisticated look that’s the perfect way to class up your outfit, this watch exhibits a silver tone stainless steel case complemented by a gold tone bezel.Maintenant, le top 10, je suis en plein dedans. Il faut maintenant que je me batte pour un top 5, on verra après les Alpes pour le podium.”Nibali, le patronLa première étape alpine a donné lieu à une explication entre les prétendants au titre et au podium, qui ont été contraints de se livrer dans l’ascension finale menant à Chamrousse.Mais j’étais derrière Kittel, et Greipel juste devant puis ils n’ont pas sprinté, je ne sais pas pourquoi !
    blazer nike basse homme http://www.velmarfood.com.mk/Nike/175.asp

October 23, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. » Patrick Powers: Best social mashups in higher education. William & Mary Creative Services - December 9, 2010

[...] don’t mind that Patrick Powers views William & Mary’s Social Stream as “one of the best social mashups in higher [...]

2. stevendkrause.com » Yet another collection of miscellaneous links - December 19, 2010

[...] Social media mashups in higher education. I think this is just a bit beyond my technical expertise for Writing for the World Wide Web, but it is something I need to figure out how to do. [...]

3. Design inspirations: mash-ups in higher education | IMKE Project - March 9, 2011

[...] different data streams, sources and applications – but with a social twist. This post has few curious examples, one of them from College of William & [...]

4. Social Media & College: One Dynamic Duo « College Planning Experts - March 12, 2011

[...] a month using just social networking sites!)  This is, yet, another fruitful article curated by Patrick Powers, who’s blog is filled with how colleges and universities have opted to not only fuse the [...]

5. Social Media mashups / hubs – no value added | Matt Herzberger - December 17, 2012

[...] Here is a post by Patrick Powers with his take on SM hubs. [...]